Friday, November 28, 2008

Family Times, pt. 2

Erin got in on Wednesday night around 9:30pm Central Time. Awesome. Yeah I know it’s Friday, but we’re just running down the events of Thanksgiving. You’re welcome.

Erin and I had to share a room at the Worley’s (Beth’s parent’s house), which was kind of fun because we got to talk a little bit. I told her she could use my computer if she wanted slash needed to. I woke the next morning to find her on it... looking at engagement rings.

Holy crap.

My little sister, the princess of my house growing up for as long as I could remember, the one who ran to me when boys were being mean, the one I taught to throw a football properly... looking at engagement rings. She said “I love you” to her boyfriend John on the phone when she was talking to him later on Thanksgiving Day. She’s been dating him for 10 months now. Erin has never dated a guy that long. Sheesh.

On top of all this, before Jake and I shot to the airport to get Erin I got to meet a lot of other friends and family from Beth’s side of the family. All of them were either engaged or married, many of them younger than me.

So of course, I started to get bummed out.

Then on Thanksgiving, I met even more young couples either engaged to be married or already married. This wasn’t all that big a deal, mainly because I was there to hang with Jake/Erin/Beth. We played football (Jake and I were on the same team, so of course we won. Boldin/Fitzgerald have nothing on us ;) ), ate ridiculous amounts of food, drank Dr. Pepper until we smelled like DP, and of course, watched football.

I got into bed last night and started thinking about my lack of a significant other. Bad idea.

After laying in bed for a while feeling sorry and stressed out, I just passed out. I was exhausted from being social, playing football, and being such a pathetic wreck on my own in my bed. Lame.

When i got up this morning, Nancy (Beth’s mother) had prepared two verses for Erin and I and wanted us to hear them. So I sat down with a cup of coffee around 11:00am and just listened. I knew something was up. I had gone to bed feeling miserable inside about how I was supposed to enjoy my relationship with the Lord while simultaneously not feeling jealousy towards my friends and family who were both satisfied in Him and their earthly companion.

Nancy gave me Ephesians 2:10. God... is too good to me, and too good to us on the whole I suppose.

“It is God Himself who has made you - and who has made you what you are - and given you a new life in Christ Jesus and long ages ago He planned that you should spend your life in helping others.”

If this gives you encouragement, awesome. If it doesn’t... well, don’t worry about it. The wisest words one can speak come from the Bible. Get into it, and let the Lord speak to you. If you’re lucky like me, maybe someone will speak those words to you and act as a medium for revelation. Or you could be that person to reveal something to someone in God’s name.

It might sound nerdy, but look at your Bible tonight and make some time to get into it.

Love.

No comments: