Tuesday, November 25, 2008

Family Times, pt.1



Just got to Dallas, TX last night. My brother Jake picked me up in his Kia sedan and proceeded to take me on a crazy trip through snaking highways and tollways. I'm pretty sure we hit 65 mph going through an automatic toll, which was bizarre to me because I'm used to stopping at a toll and dropping .50 cents in a bucket. Needless to say, it was a great ride from the airport. Lots of catching up, laughing, and goofing off. Grabbed some Cici's Pizza buffet as well. Per usual, Jake ate too much cheesy bread. Dude loves his cheese for sure.

We drove by his old apartment in creeperville before finally getting to his newer, nicer place to watch some Monday Night Football and goof off some more. Jake's wife Beth was out and about doing a photo shoot with a family. Beth had my nephew Shepherd with her, but as soon as she and Shep came in I got to see a side of Jake I had never seen before.

My brother is a lot of things to me. He's an athlete for one thing. Some of our conversation last night involved our athletic endeavors of the past couple of years. I told him about having played soccer on the professional pitch at Dick's Sporting Goods Park in Denver, and he told me about the last time he played tackle football and how sore he was as a result.

My brother is also a husband, having been married to his wife Beth since March of 2006. It wasn't even that weird to see him get married right before my teary eyes (yes, I cried at Jake's wedding, I'm a huge sissy). He and Beth go together great. I've gotten to hang out with Beth a few times, and I'm really glad she's part of my family.

I haven't ever known my brother as a dad though. When Shep came in, Jake was still hilarious. He just turned his attention to his son and Shep was happy to recieve it. I was so happy to see the interaction between a father and his son... it was just weird to see it with Jake. I'm glad he's got Shepherd and Beth in his life.

Shep did take a little while to warm up to me, but after I let him play with my phone and computer (which was probably not a great idea, somehow he almost shut it down by just pushing random buttons, and keep in mind he's only 15 months old). This morning he crawled into my lap while I was sitting on the floor and just sat there scratching my leg with his little baby fingernails. Hilarious.

One of these days... huh.

Erin (my younger sister) will be here Wednesday night. Jake and I are going to pick her up from the airport. Gah! I can't wait. I don't even remember the last time all three of us Dreyer kids were all together... probably Thanksgiving 2006 or something. My memory is terrible at the moment for some reason. Needless to say I'm stoked to be with Jake, Erin, Beth and her younger brother Ben for the next couple of days. People I love and haven't seen in a while.

I hope you're making the most of the time you're spending with family and friends right now.

No comments: