Thursday, November 27, 2008

Jake invited me to play basketball at a church with some guys (it actually turned out that half the guys in the pick up game where Asian, but they could drain 3 pointers like nobody's business haha), and we got to play like 5 games before Jake strained his quadriceps. Anyway.

We were in our 4th or 5th game and this really big guy joined the other team. He was probably 6'2" or 6'3", and could almost dunk. Well Jake's friend Corey was playing defense on him, and he was no bigger than I am. This guy was kicking Corey's butt, to the point where Corey wasn't even stepping out to defend him and just letting him shoot wide open shots.

I decided something needed to be done, so after the big guy shot and scored another wide open three, I told Corey he needed to step out on the guy and contest his shot so it wasn't so easy. This, apparently, was not the right thing to do. Corey got upset and started telling me that the guy would just run around him if he got close. So I offered to switch guys and defend the tall guy. This was also a bad idea.

Corey grabbed the basketball and threw it at me, so I caught the ball and told him to calm down. Another bad idea. Corey was walking at me and posturing like he needed to assert himself as the king of the court of something. I didn't back down, but just smiled and told him to take it easy. Jake got in between myself and his friend, and Corey started calling me an "asshole" and told Jake that he thought I was one of those several times.

When Jake told Corey that in reality, he was the one being the jerk, Corey couldn't believe it and walked off the court to get his stuff and go home. No one really knew what to do at that point because now we were down a player, and I was kind of embarassed because I had a part in setting him off.

Point is I guess... I didn't do anything aggressive towards this guy. I always talk about people talking smack and getting aggressive with me and how I would deal with it (with aggression and counter-smack), but I didn't. I just let things happen and didn't raise my hands. I don't know. Maybe God's doing more work on me than I'm capable of seeing. I kind of hope that's the case.

No comments: